Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Finer issues

Well i'm finally recovering and remembering some of the small hiccups that took place and i'm not complaining but there was just one thing I think I needed to mention. Most of you all should know that there were some gay people in the band having themselves a good time, I even met one in the vanity area during lunch he was making the ladies laugh with his antics. I honestly have no problem with anyone's sexuality it's none of my business I always say. But I found it a little disturbing when one music truck (not saying who) started to play I think its either General Grant or Talpree "we doh want no chi chi man in ah de carnival" and the MC on the truck asked the masqueraders if it have any chi chi man in the band. Now that was a bit disrespectful and I know most gay people wouldn't even take it on but still we have to learn to accomodate everyone in our Carnival. This is how the problem with Peter Ram's song originated and he had enough problems throughout the carnival with one of his verses. Was I the only one who noticed this?

6 comments:

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

I heard it on Monday but by pass de truck since I did not want to listen to dub during Carnival!

Anonymous said...

Ok great review happy you had a wonderful experience and see you next year! Listen about the so called "homophobia" that exists in the Caribbean. Did you see all that revellery, wildness, freedom and all that wanton abandon? We have little or no room for the increasing homosexual community laregely responsible for our increasing AIDS epidemic! So de chi-chi man songs serve as a buffer to tell them in short."we not taking that!"

SocaDiva said...

well trini i don't know some of these people are foreigners and if they make up their minds not to return then it's our culture that will suffer. but i see you point and its well taken

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

I think the AIDS epedemic is past the stage where it was relegated only to the gay population! AIDS affects EVERYONE, and the fasteest growing rate of infection is among teenage males and females. Anyway that is a whole other topic but it would be wise to do some research trinisunshine.

Karabana said...

Hi there. Yeah, I heard that song, which I hate btw & won't dance to. I guess the openly gay masqueraders know what they're getting themselves into & must overlook that nasty outdated song. Good on them for taking their place in mas, we all one family, right? I was frankly pleasantly surprised to see the openness of some guys, I didn't realize that would go over alright in T'dad, so the times they are a changing.

But, it takes time to move a mountain.

Karabana said...

Oh, but what about that "I need a woman by my side" song? Some pretty strong lyrics...